Thanks for coming to my site! I walked the Shikoku Pilgrimage in the summer of 2015 and began this project shortly afterwards. It began with me wanting to compile the various budget / camping lists in English and Japanese for walking henro. Since then, the site has grown to over 200+ posts. For the Shikoku Pilgrimage, I compiled more resources to help future henr such as maps, a photo essay, and a daily diary for my own purposes and I benefited greatly from the diaries of two other female walkers.
Updated versions of the reference information such as the budget accommodations, preparations, packing list, maps, and other henro tips will soon be added added to a separate website. The Shikoku Pilgrimage Diary entries will remain on this website. Should you have any questions, feel free to reach out here with a comment or via Twitter.
Happy reading and also safe travels if you are embarking on your journey!
– Athena (March, 2019)
For pilgrimage accommodations, check out my updated English and Japanese list of free and budget henro lodging.
My Photo Essay
Shikoku Pilgrimage Reference Information:
- Budget Lodging (Camping, special henro lodging prices, and huts) in English and Japanese
- My Shikoku Pilgrimage budget
- Shikoku Pilgrimage Cost Factors
- My Packing List Recommendations
- Glossary of Terms
- Google Map of the 88 Temples of Shikoku
You can also find a detailed explanation of my Shikoku Pilgrimage budget and cost factors to consider.
Shikoku Pilgrimage Diary Posts:
Kochi Prefecture: The Dojo of Ascetic Training 修行の道場
Day 7: June 27
Day 8: June 28
Day 9: June 29
Day 10: June 30
Day 11: July 1
Day 12: July 2
Day 13: July 3
Day 14: July 4
Day 15: July 5
Day 16: July 6
Day 17: July 7
Day 18: July 8
Day 19: July 9
Ehime Prefecture: The Dojo of Enlightenment 菩提の道場
Day 20: July 10
Day 21: July 11
Day 22: July 12
Day 23: July 13
Day 24: July 14
Day 25: July 15
Day 26: July 16
Day 27: July 17
Day 28: July 18
Day 29: July 19
Day 30: July 20
A shout out to Grace, who wrote Henro 2009, and provided invaluable information and a great template to adapt.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)